DIY Aloe Vera Lotion: How To Make Your Own!
Ah, the holidays. Time for celebrating with friends and family, eating all your favorite foods, and watching the cold, dry winter air sap the moisture away from your skin. Yes, cold weather is seldom kind to your complexion, but with great skin care (this DIY aloe vera lotion is perfect) you can fight back.
A solid winter skin care routine starts with moisturizer. We love using our aloe vera gel as a base for a soothing, moisturizing, and nourishing lotion. Use it every day to keep your skin supple and hydrated, or give it out as a thoughtful holiday gift. Your friends and family are sure to love it.
How to Make Your Own DIY Aloe Vera Lotion
Homemade aloe vera lotion only requires a few ingredients. You might even have some of them on hand already:
- Aloe vera gel: This will make up the base of your lotion. Aloe vera gel helps to keep moisture near the skin, which makes it a great choice on blustery wintery days. Its anti-inflammatory properties can also help to soothe red, chapped hands and cheeks.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is another powerful moisturizer. It’s a great way to repair dry, flaking skin and absorbs quickly (no greasiness!). For a slightly lighter feeling lotion, consider swapping coconut oil out for jojoba or almond oil.
- Vitamin E oil: Vitamin E helps your skin retain its natural moisturizers, which helps keep your skin from drying out in the first place. It also helps your skin resist damage from UV rays, so consider adding it to lotion you’re giving to friends who love skiing or other outdoor winter activities.
- Essential oils: Use essential oils to give your lotion a unique fragrance. Different essential oils have different benefits, so research which ones will give you the results you want.
DIY Aloe Vera Lotion Recipe
Gather the following ingredients:
- 1 cup (8oz) aloe vera gel
- ½ cup (4oz) coconut oil (We like this one)
- 1 vitamin E capsule (optional)
- Essential oils (optional)
- A small jar (to store your finished product)
Start by placing ½ cup of coconut oil in a bowl. Using coconut oil in its solid form will give you a rich, dense lotion. If you’d like a slightly lighter end product, melt your coconut oil in a double boiler and allow to cool slightly (but not all the way to room temperature) before using.
Add 1 cup of aloe vera gel and the contents of 1 vitamin E capsule to the coconut oil. Mix thoroughly using a hand mixer or a whisk. It will take 5 to 10 minutes for the lotion to reach a usable consistency.
Once your lotion is fluffy (look for a frosting-like consistency), add in a few drops of essential oils. Peppermint essential oil is a great choice if you are planning to give your lotion away as a holiday gift. Thoroughly whisk the oil into your lotion.
Transfer your lotion to a small jar. If you’re planning on giving it away, consider creating a personalized label or adding a bow or another decorative touch.
DIY aloe vera lotion is a simple and thoughtful way to help your favorite people take great care of their skin, and a must-have in your own skincare arsenal as winter weather rears its ugly head.